The District of Columbia Public Library was created by an act of Congress in 1896 “to furnish books and other printed matter and information service convenient to the homes and offices of all residents of the District.” The establishment of the library was largely due to the long and arduous efforts of Theodore W. Noyes, editor of The Evening Star. Mr. Noyes served as president of the Board of Library Trustees for 50 years.
From 1898 until 1903, the DC Public Library was located in a house at 1326 New York Ave. NW. In 1899, philanthropist and library enthusiast Andrew Carnegie donated funds to build the Central Library at Mount Vernon Square. In 1903, the new Central Library was dedicated in a ceremony attended by President Theodore Roosevelt.
The first branch of the DC Public Library was built in 1911 in Takoma Park. Soon after, additional facilities were added. The library system now includes 25 neighborhood libraries — three of which are Carnegie built — and one central library.
In 1972, the Central Library at Mt. Vernon Square was replaced by the large, modern Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library at 9th and G streets NW. The new main library was designed by Mies van der Rohe. It was designated a historic landmark in 2007. In 2017 the library closed for modernization which was completed in 2020.
Interesting fact: DC Public Library is the public library system for the United States capitol. We are one of the only state libraries that is not in a state!
Meet our judging panel for 2024 Dublin Literary Award
VideoJune 2 2023
Highlights from the 2023 Dublin Literary Award Ceremony
Katja Oskamp and translator Jo Heinrich win the prize for Marzahn, Mon Amour.
VideoMay 26 2023
2023 Award Winners in Conversation with Rick O’Shea
Author, Katja Oskamp and translator, Jo Heinrich in conversation.
VideoMay 25 2023
Flowers Say it Better, Love – A poem by Sarah Creighton Keogh
Commissioned for the 2023 Dublin Literary Award Ceremony.